UKBMDIn 2000 Cheshire's Registration Services became the first in the country to post their Birth, Marriage and Death records on the Internet.
- CheshireBMD is a joint project between the county's registration services and family history societies, to revolutionise public access to records dating back from the start of Queen Victoria's reign.
- In the past, most enquiries for copy certificates have involved Registrars manually searching through hand-written indexes which refer to weighty copperplate ledgers. But now the indexes to an estimated four million births, marriages and deaths from 1837 to 1950 and beyond are being made freely available to family historians throughout the world on the CheshireBMD web-site.
- Researchers can make use of the site's user-friendly search techniques to identify the names they are looking for, and obtain reference numbers from which Registrars can supply the birth, marriage and death certificates.
- Other counties followed Cheshire's lead and began placing their own records online , with several making use of the code developed for the Cheshire site, resulting in a consistent set of sites offering familiar search facilities.
- UKBMD was started as a simple web site to enable the main BMD sites to be found via one convenient starting point. It was quickly discovered that there were many other sites offering BMD listings that were not readily accessible. UKBMD grew in the number of links it had.
- This version of UKBMD greatly enhances the manner in which the information of the previous version of the site is handled. Many more BMD related sites have also been added, covering parish records and Bishops Transcripts.
- If you know of any site not mentioned here, please let us know via the contact button on left.
- If your county would like to produce their own BMD web site in the style of the CheshireBMD site, the code to do so is freely available, just ask.
UKBMD is produced by Ian & Sharon Hartas as part of:
Weston Technologies Limited
Company Number: 7605320
Registered Company Address: Datum House, Electra Way, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 6ZF, UK.
Registered in England and Wales.
Other Web sites by the same authors
UKBMD, UKGDL and UKMFH have been written by Ian Hartas, with Sharon Hartas researching most of the
links within these sites.
Other web sites by Ian and Sharon Hartas include:
- Sudoku-X - Free Sudoku games with an extra twist.
- The Few - a Tribute to the Men of the Battle of Britain.
- British Genealogy Network - the best place to start for British Family Tree Research.
- - Free Rune Casting fortune telling.
- a Tribute to the Eagle Annuals from the 1950's and 1960's
- The Latest voucher and discount codes from around the world
Recommended web sites:
- Our David Winter Cottages A tribute to the pottery cottages produced by David Winter, a web site by Nicola and Colin Stevens
- Barbershop Connections Barbershop Arrangers and Organization information from Nicola Stevens
- Golf Site Finder Details on thousands of Golf Resorts and Golf Courses by Colin Stevens
Discover the meaning of your name.